Recently, we have been answering several questions related to accessing online library resources on the VUMC network. Technological infrastructure modifications at the institutional level and licensing language revisions within academic publishing are prompting libraries across the country to alter access to online library resources. This is especially problematic and prevalent in the health sciences libraries domain.
Currently, there are two primary issues:
- Library users on the VU and VUMC networks will find they are logging in with their staff credentials more often.
- VUMC users may experience more logging in because they are not automatically “passing through” the library authentication system anymore.
First and foremost, my deepest apologies for these inconveniences. We are diligently trying to identify technological solutions and workflows to make online access as seamless as possible.
A few suggestions:
- Always begin your literature searches at the Eskind Biomedical Library homepage to ensure you will be prompted to authenticate.
- Be aware that authentication sessions expire with inactivity and that you may need to re-authenticate throughout the day.
- If unsuccessful with sending journal links via email and chat messaging, we suggest:
- Sending a PubMed ID (PMID) for a licensed journal
- Utilizing the resource’s CITE button to generate a citation and send the citation
NOTE: You can send the link(s) if the article is in PubMed Central (PMC) or Open Access
Feel free to contact me directly via email or Teams with any concerns.
Philip D. Walker, MLIS, MS | Director
Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center